Sunday, March 6, 2011

They Come and Go


In the summer after I graduated from college, I hiked around Israel for a few weeks with my future brother-in-law, Alter Shimon Riess. We started at Kibbutz Dan in the north and hiked to Eilat in the south, more or less following the Israel National Trail. Somewhere around the middle of the country, I put my water in my backpack without screwing on the lid correctly. A few hours later, we discovered that the water had leaked out and drenched the camera (along with a few other unmemorable things).

For whatever reason, we hadn’t taken many pictures on the trip, and the ones we had taken were nothing to write home about. The only photograph that I really missed was the photograph of the wild chameleon. It had been a truly spectacular sight, and we’d gotten what had promised to be a great picture.

But in hindsight, who cares? I can search Google Images and get 20 million pictures of chameleons. I can even post one in my blog.

As Queen Maraud once said: in space, you’re weightless anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment