Tuesday, March 16, 2010

the settlements don't make me safer

Sometimes I feel like we don't have a partner
Stay up late rereading the Hamas charter
Maybe Kahane was smarter after all
Than Rav Lichtenstein and Rav Amital
And in my dreams I still hear that call
"If we give them the West Bank, you think they're going to thank us?
Send some suicide bombs and other harmless pranks?
Import tanks from Iran?
Turn the land of Canaan into Hamastan?
It's all part of the phased plan
Don't you understand, can't you see
It ain't about the land or the sea
It's about peace with security
We all want the Palestinians to be free
But democracy is too scary
Our circumstances are extraordinary
The occupation is necessary
Apartheid?  We abhor that metaphor
Relentless struggle for peace but we're forced to choose war"
Oh yeah?  Well, I got one last question for Rabbi Raphael Schorr
What the heck are all of those settlements for?

(chorus)
This is my polemic
This is my bumper sticker
This is my attachment
Go on and double click it
This is my vanilla wafer
A treaty's just a piece of paper
But the settlements don't make me safer
They only make me sick

Now why do you look so nonplussed?
Does Israel inspire trust?
"Well, we're Jewish, so we must!"
Does Israel inspire confidence?
Is the occupation there for self-defense?
Or is it there for settlements?
'Cause the rent is too high in Jerusalem?
These are the facts on the ground and we're used to them
I just can't remember the excuse for them
I just don't understand what I read in the news
I got a bad case of the settlement blues

(chorus)

So come ride with me down Route 443
And I'll give you a lesson in political geography
Why are we occupying the West Bank, you ask?
So we can get to Modiin real real fast
But chas veshalom the Arabs should drive on their own road
If they want to get somewhere they can borrow my motor boat
I don't want to brag and I don't want to gloat
But who cares about them?  They can't even vote
I just want to end this song on a positive note
So if you feel the way I feel, I got the antidote

(chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment