Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Free Egypt: A Platonic Dialog by MC Complete

Daniel: You know what really ticks me off? Dictators. I want the Egyptian people to be free. Mubarak needs to go.
Benjamin: But what if he’s replaced by somebody worse, like the Shah was replaced by Khomeni?
Daniel: That would be bad. I don’t want Mubarak to be replaced by another tyrant. I support the pro-democracy movement in Egypt. But I certainly don’t support Mubarak.
Benjamin: But don’t you think that even a democratically elected government in Egypt could be more anti-Israel than Mubarak?
Daniel: The Arab street can’t be trusted to vote the right way, so we should just stick with the dictators? I can’t accept that. Look, it’s possible that there will be a democratic government that is more anti-Israel than Mubarak. But I think that freedom in Egypt would be good for Egypt and for the Egyptian people and it would make the world a better place. We can’t let fear and small-mindedness prevent us from taking a stand for freedom.
Benjamin: But what if the current unrest is resolved in such a way that it leaves Mubarak stronger than ever? We don’t want him to be mad at Israel and the US. Other Western-leading Arab leaders are also afraid of democracy. Maybe we shouldn’t risk offending them.
Daniel: How many times have Mubarak and King Hussein complained about the occupation? They’re not exactly on the payroll of the Hasbara, if you know what I mean. Look, Israel has peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan. We’re not shooting at each other. We even have diplomatic relationships. But we never promised to help prop up their oppressive, autocratic regimes. It doesn’t say “we will kiss your ass” anywhere in the peace treaties. (I think.)
Benjamin: Don’t you think you’re being a bit too idealistic?
Daniel: I am idealistic when it comes to freedom. And I’m not saying anything original or profound either.
Benjamin: I know, and your blog is usually so deep.
Daniel: I don’t even know why I’m writing this. I guess I was just feeling frustrated because of that story in Haaretz that said that the Israeli government was quietly supporting Mubarak in the diplomatic channels.
Benjamin: What makes you think that Israel has any influence in diplomatic channels?

No comments:

Post a Comment