Thursday, June 18, 2009

Haredi Core

First of all, good music is Kiddush Hashem.  When a believer hears good music, like, really glorious music, the glory really goes to Hashem as the creator of the musician and the one who provided the inspiration for the music.  It's kind of like the Grand Canyon or Niagra Falls or a starry night or the sun shining through the trees on Balfour 14.

I recently was thinking of sampling a sound from an Eminem song (in the end, I didn't sample it.)  So my producer (Daniel Machness) and I were listening to this Eminem song and waiting for the particular sound that I was interested in, and Daniel said something like, "I love this music.  I would listen to this all the time except that every other word is a profanity."  I'm not claiming that my music is as good as Eminem's, but wouldn't it be nice to have gangsta rap that frum Jews like us can feel good about listening to?

So from that angle, my music is only as good a Kiddush Hashem as it is good music -- make your own decision.

Second of all, I think that there are aspects of gangsta rap that are a Kiddush Hashem in particular.  Gangsta rap is arrogant and aggressive, in a humourous, self-conscious, post-modernist way.  I have problems with arrogance and anger management, and I think I'm not alone.  Gangsta rap gives me the opportunity -- in composing it and listening to it -- to channel these potentially negative traits in a harmless direction and to laugh at them.  I think this is very helpful in improving my middos overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment